The DSDW Competition Team Dancers join by invitation from Miss Debra only. Our studio has a Mini Team, Junior Team and a Senior Team; dancers are placed according to age and technical ability. There may be a cross-over between the Junior and Senior teams at Miss Debra’s discretion.
Miss Debra chooses dancers for solo, duo, trio, small/large group and production opportunities based on technique, commitment, confidence, musicality, showmanship, and ability to learn material quickly and correct mistakes.
Guest choreographers are often invited to design numbers for our team dancers. In recent years our team dancers welcomed Valerie Salgado, choreographer from the hit TV show SMASH, as well as Lauren Froderman, season seven winner of “So You Think You Can Dance”!
All team members must enroll in Junior or Senior Team Workshop, Jump & Turn, Master Ballet Technique, at least one Sunday Classical Ballet Workshop, and an appropriate Ballet/Jazz class. Team members must also attend our Summer Intensive Program. In addition, when DSDW offers master classes, all team members are required to participate.
We participate in different competitions each year. Fundraisers are held yearly to help defray all competition costs excluding competition entry fees. All team members are required to participate. Dates and details are shared as early as possible so that families may plan accordingly.
Costume payments will have a late fee of $10.00 per costume if paid after the deadline. There will be no refunds for costume payments for any reason.
COMPETITION TEAM EXPECTATIONS
- All team members must agree to compete in all chosen competitions, including Nationals, if Miss Debra decides to enter.
- All team members are required to attend any special events for the team; showcases, fundraisers, community service, etc.
- Members must be in competition class from the first week of classes up until the June recital.
- Team members that sustain an injury or illness will be excused from competition while still remaining a valued team member. Injured dancers must still attend all rehearsals, classes and competition.
- A role on this team must be taken very seriously and professionally. This opportunity is one that will afford huge progress, great fun, a dance family for support and encouragement, and one that will make memories to last a lifetime!